Sportscover Financial Hardship Assistance Policy
At Sportscover, we understand that financial difficulties can affect anyone. We believe in treating our customers with respect, empathy and in a non-judgemental manner.
We also understand that each customer’s circumstances are unique and will work with them to identify the type of assistance that best suits their situation.
We’re committed to supporting customers facing financial hardship. Our Financial Hardship Policy can help you access support and services when you need them most.
Financial hardship requests are generally received by Sportscover in relation to an open insurance claim. In addition to the General Insurance Code of Practice’s existing requirements concerning Financial Hardship, we will fast-track each financial hardship request and provide options for the customer to assist them whilst their claim is being managed.
If you need support with any of our insurance products or services, we’re here to help you.
How we can support you
If you’re in financial stress and are unable to pay money owed to us that is not a premium, we may — in certain circumstances — agree to:
- offer instalment payments
- delay or extend payment terms
- put the recovery of monies on hold
- release your debt (where appropriate)
- agree with you to pay a reduced lump sum amount
- deduct an excess from a claim amount (cash settlement), and/or
- give you access to our financial hardship support team.
If you’re in financial stress and are unable to pay your premium, then we will work with you to see if we can support you to keep you covered. Support options may include:
- offer instalment payments
- review your payment terms and dates
- providing you with a review of your policy cover
How to apply for support
If you’re going through financial hardship, please contact us today. We’ll provide you with a form to apply for financial support and help you through the application process.
Please let us know if we can help refer you to external services such as community support and financial counselling services.
Natural disaster and fast tracking of urgent claims
We support all our customers and their communities by responding to catastrophes and natural disasters efficiently, professionally and compassionately.
If a natural disaster has meant you have to make a claim under your policy and caused you financial hardship, we may:
- fast track both our assessment of your claim and the process we follow to make a decision about your claim, and/or
- pay you an advance amount in order to ease your urgent financial need within 5 days once agreed.
If you’re in this position, please let us know – we’re here to support you.
Access to other information and support
Here are free and confidential financial counselling resources that can provide advice to Australians in every state and territory:
- Contact the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007
- Visit the ASIC MoneySmart website
- View the Good Shepherd website for affordable financial programs to people who are financially excluded
Effective Date: 01 July 2020